Don’t give your child brush to paint, let him choose how he wants to paint.
Gone are the days when we used to play outdoor for hours and hours without gasping and which used to be our favorite time of the day. There was physical mental and emotional development happening without us knowing much about the terms. The traditional ways of playing were confined to particular fun and development.
But now the scenario is changed.With changing times, more and more Preschool Awareness ,exposure and guidance , we can make sure the Play Time of Toddlers is not only just full of fun but it teaches ,trains and develops their creativity.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not’?” – George Bernard Shaw
Creativity is an essential aspect to be developed in the future generation. Its the way to set their imagination free with no boundaries and create a unique world.
Hence Playing is good but Playing with Creativity needs to be installed in the toddlers.
Let’s go through the importance of Play and Tips to promote/foster this important aspect in your toddler.
Importance of Play
- Play helps children learn about themselves and their understandings of their expanding physical and social worlds.
- Play gives children opportunities to figure out how things work, how to get along with others and to try on new roles.
- Play stimulates and enhances creativity and imagination.
- Play develops perceptual-motor skills (fine and gross, such as eye-hand coordination and balance) and helps develop strength and coordination.
- Play helps children learn and practice social skills such as sharing, negotiation and cooperation..
- Play develops curiosity and increases attention span.
Tips to Promote Creativity or Imaginative Play .
- Provide a collection of dress-up props for role-play.
- Provide them with non traditional toys and observe their imagination with them
- Guide them on a story and tell them to create it in front of you.
- Tell them a story and leave something for their imagination and ask them to predict the rest.
- Look at the clouds and take turns imagining what they resemble.
- Plant seeds for imaginative thinking by reading lots of books together.
- Provide toys that encourage creativity and imagination.
- Make up stories with your child, building on each other’s additions.
- Make them play with clay and guide them on different shapes or just let them create something on their own
- Listen to music with your child and act out how it sounds (sleepy, happy).
- Become either an observer or a part of his play
- Give them Sheet of paper and don’t guide them at all. Just appreciate whatever is their work on the sheet and ask them the meaning of the same . You will be surprised to know what your child thinks and imagines.
- Ask for their suggestion on fake situation you are facing to see and develop their problem solving ability.
Above all and may be many other tips can be adopted to foster imaginative creativity in your toddlers.
“Creativity is contagious, pass it on” – Albert Einstein
As a Parent or a Teacher think out of the box and Explore as a child, you will start loving this exercise and will be pleasantly surprised to note that your child can be even more creative then you.
So get started and plan your next play session with your kid .
Celebrate Childhood with Shanti Juniors
References : http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/playtime/joyoflearning/index.html